Head Lice are tiny 2-4mm wingless insects. They do not Fly or jump but they do crawl. They are human parasites that need blood from the human head to live, colonize and lay eggs.
Most common symptoms are itching, red bite marks on scalp, neck and behind ears. You can sometimes feel them crawl or bite. Only 50% of people occur itching and so people that dont have a reaction can get a severe infection fast.
They do not come out of the air or from the ground. They are human parasites and have been here probably since the beginning of time. Desiccated (dried up) head lice and their eggs (nits) have been found on the hair and scalps of Egyptian mummies. Monkeys are the only other species that have lice besides us and could have originally been the first carriers before humans.
Head lice cannot be caught, transferred or survive on pets. They are human parasites and require human blood for survival. Treatment to any animal is not needed and can be harmful.
No. Professional and/or household insecticide or fumigant sprays and fogs are not necessary. Once head lice infestation (on a human) is properly and successfully treated, any lice within the home cannot live beyond 24-48 hours, so pest control is not required. It is actually illegal and considered Fraud for a pest control company to offer home treatment services for lice. Regular vacuuming and laundry is suggested for enviornmental cleaning.